Beadin Path Lucite Challenge- Reveal day!
About a month ago I blogged about a new challenge, where I shopped my heart out picking out some lucite from Beadin Path when I was in Maine for a little vacation with the hubby. Heather and her team, put together the kits and offered them for sale on their website! Today is the day we get to reveal what we made! Excited, aren't YOU!?
When I sat down to make my lucite goodies, I felt good. I've totally got this, I thought. I LOVE lucite. This is going to be a real cinch. Then I started playing around with the pieces. The big chunky black flowers have just enough of a curve in them that they don't always want to sit just right. I say just right. What I mean is, FLAT. This can definitely affect the overall design of a piece.
The next challenge- the chain.. Lucite chain is really cool in theory. However, unless the links are lined up just right, a slight tug on a necklace can cause the entire thing to pull apart. Trust me. It happened me. When I put it on to model for the pictures, I went to remove it from my neck, and it came apart in 3 pieces. I'm not really sure how to combat this challenge. So I'm just going to show you the piece and we'll pretend it stays together for the purpose of this blog post. :)
The next piece I crafted is a bracelet. A very chunky, and eye-catching bracelet. I brought out some large 15mm Cream lucite rounds, also from Beadin Path, to pair with a black flower as the focal. For the center of the flower, I used one of the lucite buttons.
I used some gunmetal rounds in between the cream rounds, and placed 2 red barrel beads by the clasp which I fashioned out of another lucite button and a handcrafted steel wire hook clasp.
I didn't get the best pic of how this one is strung so I'll try to explain...
The last piece I made was another necklace. In this piece, I pulled out a large brass metal flower from MissFickleMedia, and an enameled red flower from C Koop Beads, to layer with the black flower. I beaded an asymmetrical design with the coral coins and red and teal barrel beads. A seed beaded toggle wraps around the lucite button for the closure.
Regardless of the quirkiness of the beads, I did have a blast with this challenge and I do hope you all enjoyed seeing the progess! I can't wait to hop around to see what other people created using their kits!
Here's a link list...
If you are participating and I don't have your link, send it to me or post it in the comments! Happy Hopping!
okay, i'm glad i'm not the only one that was fighting with that chain! I love your designs! thanks for such a fun challenge!!!ReplyDelete
HAHA! I was fighting with chain and flowers too! Your designs are great. I seriously am going to do a Part 2 with the rest of the beads. It's all the fault of those damn (beautiful) flowers.ReplyDelete
Thanks for a great challenge!
They are fun colors. I said almost the same thing to Songbeads when I saw her creations this morning.ReplyDelete
Glad you shared the difficulties of the lucite chain.
They are all eye catching.
What fun pieces! I am loving seeing what everyone did.ReplyDelete
Great pieces! I love the bright colors of this kit. I'm sorry the chunky chain didn't cooperate because its got great potential. I'm off to see what the others made.ReplyDelete
These are awesome. At one point, I thought the buttons would work great in the flower, but couldn't figure out how to pull it off. I'm so glad you did. The bracelet is awesome and the flower is so big and bold. :) I love the last necklace also. It's just the perfect combination. I could totally see me wearing it too. :) Thank you for the challenge, it was so much fun!ReplyDelete
I love what you did with the flowers. I admit, they mystified me. The last necklace really speaks to me, I love the asymmetry and the very cool brass flower. Also, those buttons made me happy, really happy.ReplyDelete
I want to share how I got the chain to behave. I discovered that if you go along and turn each piece, as you are assembling it, one solid side next to one open side, the only open pieces are the ends. They can't move around once they are linked like this because there isn't enough room for them to turn themselves around. Then I used Tacky Glue to seal the end openings, and very carefully hung it to dry. I used a couple of coats, I'm sure you could use resin also. Then I glued two bits of ribbon over the openings, and attached them to the necklace like that. I don;t usually use glue, I see it as cheating, but to me, this was the ONLY way they would behave. I tried wire, it slipped right off the slippery lucute.
Anyway, thanks for this challenge, I enjoyed it SOOOOO much!
I couldn't get that chain to work at all! Hence the fact I only used it as single links (love what Lisa did with those seed bEaded links). I love all your pieces - think the second necklace is my favourite, I love the stacked flower, so pretty. I need to get me some C-Koop! Thanks so much for organising this challenge, it has been really fun - not components I've ever worked with before and I loved it! Hope you do another soon :-)ReplyDelete
Very cool pieces! I think the final necklace is my favorite - the layered flower is gorgeous.ReplyDelete
Color blocking the beads in the necklace really make this piece a knockout. Love all the designs in this truly challenging beading opportunity.ReplyDelete
Chain was apparently the death of us all.... Here's where you can see what I did: http://www.rigglettes.blogspot.comReplyDelete
Thank Lorelei - it's always fun to explore new materials & styles!
I wore my necklace yesterday and a) the chain didn't fall apart and b) the flowers laid correctly (mostly).ReplyDelete
You know, it's very reassuring to read that even you have to struggle with your components sometimes ;) Lovely work, as always!ReplyDelete