I bought some new tools this week from Limabeads.com, they arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to dive right in when I got home from work. I picked this letter stamp set in a nice lowercase font, and a brass hammer to use with the stamps. I splurged on this set, because I think you get what you pay for. And I mean that in all honesty. I have been there, tried to get by with the cheap stuff and it generally doesn't work out. For me.
The stamps come in this beautiful hinged wooden box. And I love that the stamps have a printed letter on one side so that I know which way the letter is upright. They look really small at first but once I started stamping and darkened them with liver of sulphur, they are really a great size. I wouldn't want them any smaller or bigger. This set is 3mm.
So I started practicing right away. I cut discs of copper 22g sheet with my disc cutters. I had some knowledge beforehand because I just bought Lisa Niven Kelly's book Stamped Metal Jewelry.
But it still took some practice to learn that 3 or more taps of the hammer is too many. 2 is just enough, but they have to be nice and firm.
But then after stamping a bit, I noticed my new brass hammer had divits. I found out that this is fairly normal, since the brass is a softer metal than the stamps are. I get the same effect with a house hold hammer, but I like the weight of the brass hammer. It takes less effort.
Here is an attempt on a Vintaj Brass blank. I need to find my acrylic paints or get some of those cool paint dabbers so I can add some color.
This was my first successful pendant. Getting the spacing just right, can be a little tricky. After stamping, I added some texture with the ball end of my ball peen hammer. I oxidized the pendant in Liver of Sulphur and then buffed it clean. What a pretty look this creates. I am totally addicted!
A few more! Earring pairs, and a link- all with the same stamping, hammering, oxidizing technique.
The finished product! These sweet bird earrings sold last night! The bracelets are listed in my shop now.
My next goal will be riveting! And I also have some pliers on their way from Beaducation. Better order some more copper sheeting! I have a feeling I am going to be doing a lot of stamping!